WHY STUDY GAELIC?
There are many good reasons why people learn Gaelic. Below is a list that some of our pupils collated telling why they chose to study Gaelic or Gàidhlig in the Academy:
- Learning languages helps you develop a range of skills and abilities which are useful in your future life & work.
- Gaelic is part of our Scottish heritage. Learning Gaelic will allow you to appreciate Scotland’s past and understand how this impacts on the present.
- It helps you to understand the local culture of the Highlands.
- Learning Gaelic will allow you to talk to Gaelic speakers in their native language.
- You can enjoy participating in Gaelic cultural activities.
- You can enjoy watching Gaelic programmes & listening to Gaelic radio.
- By learning Gaelic we are helping to reverse the language decline which has taken place over previous centuries.
- There are many career opportunities open to Gaelic speakers. Increasingly there are opportunities for Gaelic speakers in occupations such as the media, education, government, community development and the arts.